Monday, May 27, 2013

The 400-Word Story: The Beach Man #5






















Ifeoma

I can remember lying on the bed in the spiritualist’s dark room, but when I open my eyes, I find myself sitting on a round stool, inside a small hut.

‘Welcome again to our home.’

I turn towards the voice, and I see him – the killer – standing few feet away, a mischievous glint in his eyes.

‘Why are you tormenting me?’ I say.

‘Why?’ He frowns slightly. ‘Because a wife isn’t supposed to cheat on her husband.’

‘What do you-’

‘You know what I mean. You’ve been cheating on me with that boy, Peter.’

‘But I’m not your-.’

‘I knew you’d doubt me. Remember the dead goat when you were five?’

I frown. The dead goat.

‘Yes. Remember?’

‘But how…’ I turn away from him, and my biggest secret, the incident with the dead goat, rushes through my mind.

On the Christmas when I was five, our family woke up to a tragedy: the goat, which my father had bought for the celebration, dead. It hurt me seeing the disappointment on my parents and brother’s face; we were poor then, and everybody knew it was going to be a terrible Christmas. So, when I was alone, I knelt beside the goat, talking to it, begging it to return to life. It didn’t. But when I touched it, I felt energy depart my body. And just then, the goat bleated.

We had a pleasant Christmas afterwards.

But I didn’t stop there. Dead insects, dead animals, they all returned to life whenever I touched them. I was scared; I knew I was different from other people, so I stopped touching dead things.

‘You know,’ the killer’s deep voice brings me back to the hut. ‘You have the same scar she had. The one in your right palm.’

I shake my head. ‘I’m not your wife.’

‘Back then you always said that after death, souls return to live a new life in another body and that you hope we’d meet again.’

‘Okay, let’s say I believe you. What do you want from me now?’

‘They were envious of your healing gift, that’s why they killed you. But I saved some of your emergency potion. All you have to do is drink it, become invincible like me, and let’s wipe out the community, avenge yourself.’

‘And what if I disagree?’

The killer sneers at me, his face deeply malevolent. ‘Then you’ll die with them.’


Footnote: This is the fifth episode of The Beach Man, a 400-Word Blog Series.
Click HERE for the next episode.

Thanks for reading!

14 comments:

  1. How come part of me cares about the killer? Kaykay, you're messing with my head! Awesome installment. I hadn't expected the girl's paranormal gift. Cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. :) I've felt the same way with some stories. Sometimes I even find myself caring for the bad guy instead of the good guy.

      Thanks, Robyn. I'm glad you're enjoying the series. :)

      Delete
  2. Wow,so d gal gats powers,am lykin dis...more tins we can't evn imajin.d@s kul man.can't wait 4 more surprises...keep it up bro.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! Nice. I can't wait for the next episode. This was a good shot. Let me see how you roll out the next. Don't worry. I won't predict you. I'll let you surprise me.
    You seemed in a rush to finish this episode though. Didn't bear the finesse of some previous ones. Good enough to make me await the next nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! :) I hate being predicted. Sometimes I wish I could write above the 400-word limit. It's like an inescapable prison, which one just has to find a way to get used to. And I'm getting used to it. I've realized that it's helped boost my writing.

      Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad you're already waiting for the next episode. :)

      Delete
  4. True that specific tasks can boost one's talents at times, whilst other kill it.
    You are welcome, Kay.
    Keep it up. You won't always be at this level!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the booster, Chris. I really appreciate your stopping by. :)

      Delete
  5. This is really really cool.

    Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Seun. I'm glad you like the story. :)

      Delete
  6. A little late again, but I managed to read this episode. :)
    Nice thought to make the killer think she is his wife. And I like the supernatural gift too. It's getting more interesting every time.
    Your story has a good pace. Good job.
    Keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Athina. I'm glad you're enjoying the story. :)

      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  7. I completely agree with Athina. I love how you've added a supernatural dimension to this now. Makes it more interesting and shows a greater connection between our protag and the killer. Ha! It's a dicey turn; one that needs to be closely followed.

    Your dialogues are engaging. Wonder if I've told you that too.

    Keep on writing, bro

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Uzoma. The supernatural twist just came from nowhere, while I was writing. I'm glad you like it.

      Thanks for reading! :)

      Delete
  8. Hi friends, its great post regarding tutoringand entirely defined, keep it up all the time.


    Feel free to surf to my homepage - online roulette

    ReplyDelete